• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 cup diced onion
• 1 cup diced red bell pepper
• 1 cup diced celery
• 1/2 cup diced carrot
• 8 to 12 ounces andouille sausage or other smoked sausage, diced or thinly sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 bunch kale, chopped, about 8 to 10 cups chopped
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 can (15 ounces) white beans, such as Great Northern, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• Dash Tabasco or similar hot pepper sauce, optional
In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, celery, carrots and sausage. Sauté, stirring, until onion is just tender. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add kale and garlic; cover and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Taste and adjust salt, as needed.
Make vegetarian or vegan friendly by omitting the sausage and using vegetable broth in lieu of chicken broth.