• 1 teaspoon salt
• 5-6 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 1 pound)
• 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
• 1/4 cup of chopped red onion
• 1 cup of peas (fresh or thawed if using frozen peas)
• 1 cup of mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup of honey
• 1/2 cup of cooked, crumbled bacon (Optional)
Bring a large pot of water, salted with a teaspoon of salt, to a boil. Add the broccoli florets. Cook 1-2 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want the broccoli. (One minute will turn the broccoli bright green and still leave it pretty crunchy. Two minutes will cook the broccoli through, but it will still be firm).
Do not cook the broccoli for more than 2 minutes.
Drain the broccoli and immediately put into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Let the broccoli cool and then drain.
Combine the broccoli florets, almonds, onion, peas, and bacon in a large serving bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, cider vinegar and honey. Add the dressing to the salad and toss to mix well. Chill thoroughly before serving.