• 1 cup raw cashews
• 5 cups vegetable stock or bouillon
• 2 yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 4 1/2 cups broccoli, trimmed and coarsely chopped
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Put the cashews and 1 cup of the vegetable stock into a blender. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
Put the remaining 4 cups of vegetable stock, the potatoes and the onion into a large pot. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the broccoli and basil and return to a simmer. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the cashew mixture, the salt, the pepper and bring just to a simmer. Remove from the heat, transfer about half of the soup to a blender and puree, or use stick blender. Return the puree to the pot and stir well. Serve immediately.