Bulgur is a convenient grain to keep on hand in the pantry. Don’t confuse it with cracked wheat, which is another product made from raw wheat berries. Because bulgur is made from precooked wheat berries, it takes only about 20 minutes to reconstitute by soaking or by simmering the grain in boiling water. This grain has a nutty flavor and a light texture. In this recipe red lentils with aromatic vegetables and spices help to build a savory casserole that is a stand-alone, meat-free comfort meal.
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
1 t. ground cumin
½ t. Cayenne
1 veg bouillon cube
1 cup bulgur wheat
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 T. olive oil
10 oz. fresh greens, washed and chopped
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
½ pound feta cheese, crumbled
3 large eggs, beaten
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 t. salt
½ t. black pepper
1 tomato, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly greased large casserole dish with olive oil
2. Place lentils in a small saucepan. Add 1½ cups water, cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes until water is absorbed.
3. Add cumin and cayenne to lentils. Set aside to cool.
4. In small saucepan bring 1 1/2 cup water to a boil and add bouillon cube. Stir to dissolve. Add bulgur. Stir once, cover, and simmer until broth is absorbed.
Remove from heat, let stand covered to cool.
5. Put garlic, onion and olive oil in a large, deep-sided skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until onions are soft. Add greens, cover and cook until wilted.
6. Combine parsley, ½ cup of feta, eggs, vinegar, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
7. In a large mixing bowl combine all cooked ingredients and the feta mixture. Blend.
8. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Arrange tomato slices and remaining feta on top.
9. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.