• 3 pounds lima beans in pods, shelled (scant 3 cups beans), or 2 (10-ounces) packages frozen baby lima beans, thawed
• 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (5 cups)
• 6 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable)
• 2 scallions, chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
• 1/4 cup packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
• 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
• 2 tablespoons dill leaves
• 2 tablespoons mint leaves
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• Salt and pepper
Simmer beans, scallions, cumin, and cayenne in broth over medium heat about 15 minutes or until beans are tender.
Puree soup in blender until smooth, in batches if necessary. Force puree through a fine-meshed metal sieve into a bowl, throwing away remaining solids. Chill until cold, about 1 hour.
Puree herbs with 1/4 teaspoon salt and oil in cleaned blender.
Serve chilled soup with herb oil swirled in, seasoned with salt and pepper.