Green your Mac & Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil plus extra for oiling the baking dish
- 1 12 oz box whole grain pasta (elbow, penne or fusilli)
- Large bunch of greens (kale, collards, turnip greens, dandelion greens, sorrel), chopped and blanched, drained and dried
- ½ large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups grated cheese (Gruyere, cheddar, Swiss, parmesan – your choice)
- ½ cup bread crumbs , toasted
- Heat oven to 350. Oil 3 quart baking dish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously. Blanch greens for 2 minutes and transfer to an ice water bath. Drain on towel and squeeze dry.
- Add macaroni to boiling water and cook according to package, a minute short since pasta will be baked.
- To make sauce, heat 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium heat in a medium size saucepan. Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook, stirring for about 3 minutes. Whisk in milk all at once and bring to simmer, whisking constantly until mixture begins to thicken. Turn heat to low and simmer, whisking often for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add nutmeg. Remove from heat.
- Combine sauce, pasta, greens and cheeses in a large bowl, stirring together until everything is nicely coated. Scrape into prepared baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until bubbly and top is lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving
Adapted from NYTimes.com/cooking