Serves 4 – 6
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 small eggplants, about 1 1/2 pounds, sliced in 1/4-inch thick rounds
• Salt and pepper
• 1 red bell pepper, sliced, optional
• 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced, optional
• 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 jar (about 24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
• 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese
• 1/4 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
Line two baking sheets with foil. Brush foil with a little of the olive oil. Arrange slices of eggplant over the bottom of one of the baking sheets; brush slices with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Arrange bell pepper and mushrooms on the other baking sheet.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes. Turn the vegetables and bake for 7 to 8 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
Grease a 3-quart baking dish. Arrange a layer of eggplant slices in the bottom of the baking dish. Top with a few slices of bell pepper, some mushrooms, and about 1/3 of the sauce. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers two more times, then sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender and cheese is melted.