1. Put cut onions in bowl, season with salt and leave for 20 minutes on the counter to draw out moisture. Rinse and dry
2. In separate bowl, combine vinegar, jam, and chile. Then add onions and herbs. Mix well. Let marinate for 1 hour on counter.
3. Cook green beans in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, until just tender, then drain.
4. Mix garlic and oil, toss the beans in the mixture and place on a ridged grill plan or under a pre-heated broiler and cook for two minutes or slightly charred
5. Place in bowl and toss with Sambal sauce